Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The LS2 FF396 CT2 Helmet Review

(Not) Breaking My Head Over a Helmet

 

So, I was in the market for a good motorcycle helmet - especially since I didn't want to ride my new bike without one. The exponential increase in crashes here in India warranted a full-face helmet - no two ways about that.

If this was possible, I wanted a helmet that had a higher rating than what the Indian Standards Institute ISI gives. After watching the excellent video on buying helmets by the folks at  RevZilla.com, I decided to look through the standards more carefully and spent some time going through this one as well by Louis and Siggy.

My quick takeaway from these videos was that

ISI < DOT < SNELL < ECE 22.05

where the "<" sign translates to "is less safer than".

Crossing (off) the DOT(s)


After researching some online on what's available here, I had my eyes set on the SOL SF-1 Acme TC12. It looked like it was available somewhat locally, priced decently, DOT certified and looked smart. Anyway, long story short, I tried on the helmet and wasn't happy with the fit. The helmet was sold out in the size I wanted to try and the distributor couldn't keep their word on when this would be available. Tough luck.

Not wanting to wait indefinitely, I decided to try a couple shops without a particular model in mind. After moving up the chain of helmets, I soon stumbled across the LS2 FF396 CT2. It caught my eye immediately because of the blackish gray carbon fiber. I used the multi-point helmet fitting video guide that the folks at Reline Motorsports put up and was delighted that it sat well on my head. When I looked at the back of the helmet I noticed that it had a ECE 22.05 certification. Truly I couldn't have asked for more! Here I was getting helmet that had a higher safety rating than the one I had set my sights out to get initially. I bought the helmet and a couple of cotton skull caps (so that the inside of the helmet of the helmet wouldn't get all sweaty).

Back shot of the LS2 FF396 CT2. Note the ECE 22.05 certification.

 

Heading Out


I thought that I'd wait for at least 3 months before writing a review on my experience with the LS2 so that my opinions were well-formed. Now that this time has quickly gone by, here's my review.

For starters, the LS2 FF396 CT2 manual is full of typos. Here are just a couple from the second page.

Page #2 of the helmet manual. Note the the glaring typos (boxed in red). Shoddy proofing work by LS2 - especially since the helmet's such a beauty.

When I was done going through it, I started wondering if I was sold a fake helmet. However, luckily, the build and quality of the helmet allayed my fears.

Let's face it: The LS2 FF396 CT2's a smart helmet. There's badging with the words "LS2" on the sides, back and front. The texture of the carbon fiber's beautiful. Indeed, When I carry it around, people are naturally curious about the bike I ride. However, they seem chagrined they realize that I putter around on a small scooter instead of a mean machine with a gazillion horses. Rather than describe the helmet's aesthetics, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Side shot of the LS2 FF396 CT2. Note the top vent in the open position. The small slide-lever on the side of the visor enables it to be locked.

The helmet's very light. My daily commute on way takes no longer than 15 minutes. But even if I have to make this trip a few times, my neck doesn't feel fatigued.

It is well-ventilated. The helment has four vents - one at the front, the other at the back and two on top. This really helps with airing the helmet. The vents can be easily closed in wet weather (and don't leak).

The the LS2 FF396 CT2 also comes with built-in sunglasses that can be flipped down by the touch of small lever. These are a huge boon in (mostly sunny) subcontinent conditions. The quality of the shades are very good and save me the hassle of having to put on any extra eye wear.

Front shot of the LS2 FF396 CT2. Note the built-in sunglasses and the open front vent.

The ECE 22.05 standard includes tests for the visor as well - and the visor on the LS2 does feel sturdy. Over the course of these few months I've had all kinds of small objects hit it and that's formed a few scratches but the visibility's still excellent. If this is required, the visor can be locked down (so it doesn't flip up on impact).

The helmet comes with an accessory to cover the front part of the face that can be easily removed.

The inside fabric / cushioning of the helmet (right over the head) is removable for washing. This is held  held together in place by two strategically placed buttons and both the removal and insertion are a breeze. This is again a big plus for a country like India where it's easy to sweat.

Bottom shot of the LS2 FF396 CT2. Note the buttons in red at the back of the helmet that enable the easy removal of the fabric / lining inside. Also note the classic D-ring chin strap.


The classic D-ring chin strap's very comfortable and is easy to put on and off.

Price on Your Head


"So, what did you pay for it?", I hear you ask. This helmet set me back ₹10,000 (~$170 USD) but this how I reasoned things out:

The average life of the helmet's 5 years. Say I use it 300 days a year; that's 15,000 days in 5 years. This works out to around ₹0.70 / day to have the best protection that's available for my head. A price I'm gladly willing to pay.

So, in summary, I think the LS2 FF396 CT2's an excellent helmet and I'm very happy with my decision. It's done a fantastic job these past few months and I have no complaints.

I do hope that you find this review helpful as you decide on your next helmet. Safe riding!








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review. Was searching one whom had been using it. Finally here you are. A bit of a problem what I face while riding above 80kmph, it creates a whooshing sound but that too taken care by ear plugs. Overall superb product that too carbon fiber. Loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Thanks so much for sharing.

      Glad you found a solution to the noise at speeds above 80 KPH. But I'd assume that's going to be there regardless of the helmet.

      Yes, it indeed is a lovely product! It's great to hear that you love it.

      That being said, it's almost strange that we don't see it advertized more here in India. I wonder if it's popular / available in other countries as well and how it holds up.

      Delete