Friday, June 20, 2014

TP-LINK TL-WR740N as a Repeater? No Thank You!

Routing to the Right Router


So, I was in the market to buy a wallet-friendly router and after searching for this on Flipkart, it became evidently clear that the TP-LINK TL-WR740N would do nicely. The ratings for the router are high along with a bunch of rave reviews. See here. At under ₹900 (~$15 USD), it's a real steal. So I went ahead and bought it.

Reaping the Rewards of Repeating


I was extremely satisfied with the TP-LINK TL-WR740Nas a router. Set up using the web interface was a breeze and I was up and going in just a couple minutes. Exactly what I wanted.

However, the range on the router is not the greatest and it didn't cover all the area it needed to. So, I got onto Flipkart and started looking for a wireless repeater to boost the signal. I did come across the Netgear WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender but after paying ₹900 for the TP-LINK TL-WR740N, the Netgear price tag looked a bit steep at ₹2,750 (~$46 USD). 

So, I wondered if the TP-LINK TL-WR740N could be used a a repeater and found this reply on StackExchange. Though the first answer clearly states that this is not possible, the others seem to imply otherwise. Believing them, I went ahead and bought another TP-LINK TL-WR740N - after making sure that it was DD-WRT compatible - again based on the reviews from Flipkart.

"Brick"bats Not Bouquets


I was super excited when the second router reached my doorstep. I was going to be able to create a nice WiFi zone at a budget price. But what followed next was a nightmare.

First, I followed the instructions in the video here. They seemed straightforward enough. What I didn't notice in my excitement is that the video has more thumbs down than it does thumbs up. Anyway, the setup went well and everything seemed dandy - the second router was working nicely as a repeater.

However, after some time, it failed. The WiFi network was visible but there was no internet connectivity. I tried extending the lease time and this worked well temporarily. I scoured the web looking for a more permanent solution, but without luck. Then, it occurred to me to explore the DD-WRT route.

I routinely tinker with the OS on my phone. So, I was not daunted with the prospect of loading the router with custom firmware. I was able to successfully flash the router using the video here. It was clear and there was a way to revert back to the stock firmware too in case things didn't go well.

Long story short, even after flashing the router with DD-WRT, the repeater failed to work well. After jumping through some more hoops, I was able to get the router back to stock. And then I started looking for other solutions. There are tons of these threads and every now and then there appears to be a promise that the device can function as a repeater, so it egged me on. 

Finally, I ended up with Gargoyle another custom firmware that seemed to have magically transformed the TP-LINK TL-WR740N into a repeater. I flashed it and tried it but in vain. I was quite exhausted with all of this and chose the wrong file while updating firmware. That ended up bricking my router.

The worst had just happened for real...

 

Unbricking and a Realization 

 

All my excitement had faded away and I was already exhausted but the fact that I'd just bricked my new router gave me the energy to try to unbrick it. I got the right cables as described here and though I gave it my best shot, it was just not working. I was spending more time and more energy and getting nowhere - except perhaps to Frustrationland. Admittedly, this would be a good project if I were a student looking for something interesting to do but all I wanted was the (damn) repeater to work and be on my way.

A Universal Solution


 So, after thinking about this, I looked for a solution on Flipkart and, not surprisingly, I stumbled once again on the strong reviews and ratings for the Netgear WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender. Surprise, surprise, this time the price didn't faze me and I bought it. And It worked like a charm. It was so easy to set up. See here. And it's been working wonderfully well for several months now. The signal never drops and it covers a really wide area.

Conclusion


So, in summary this is what I learned the real hard and painful way: 

The TP-LINK TL-WR740N is a great router. The TP-LINK TL-WR740N is not a repeater. Do not expect it to magically turn into one. 

If you're in the market to look for a solution that creates a decently large WiFi zone, get the TP-LINK TL-WR740N and use it as a router and buy the WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender as a repeater. Please save yourself the hassle, money and time. This is a simple and elegant solution that works very well.


4 comments:

  1. 1. How much time did it work as a repeater initially in stock firmware before failing? Can you explain how the router repeated the signal in stock firmware?

    2. Basically you wanted to use it as a wireless repeater(http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge) right?
    you wanted to connect the secondary router to connect to primary and then repeat that signal right?

    3. I never thought wireless repeating was possible because the manual says it supports wds wireless bridge. I think that means you can connect the routers using wds but the secondary router can only connect clients via lan ports. Or does the secondary router connect clients via wifi as well when used in wds bridging mode in stock firmware?
    4. Did you check this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYRmjHQ9N6w

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarath,

    Thanks for writing in. Let me see if I can reply to your questions here.

    1(a). It worked for maybe for a day or so. I thought it had something to do with the lease times but I was wrong.
    1(b). I set it up exactly as shown in the YouTube video in Point #4 (with the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYRmjHQ9N6w).

    2. Correct.

    3. Well it did connect clients via WiFi - but only intermittently. The function of the WDS bridge is then not entirely clear.

    4. Yes, I did. See Point #1(b).

    Bottomline is I've been very happy with the WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender. I own a couple and they work really well. They do the job and are a no-brainer to set up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, nice writeup on your story! It saved me from entering into the same loop!
    I have two routers with me - Beetel provided by Airtel and a separate TP Link TL-WR740N. I just want an additional coverage of roughly 5 more meter to cover 1 of the bedrooms at the other end of house. After reading your post I am pretty convinced not to enter into the trouble of trying to configure the TP Link router as a repeater.
    I will now try to just reposition the router to give a little more range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kun,
      Yes, you're right. There's no point trying to configure the TP-LINK TL-WR740N as a repeater. As you said, you're better off repositioning the router or else investing in a product like the WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender. Good luck!

      Delete